- How do I assign a static Front-End IP address for bare domain Application proxies?
- How to assign DNS for proxies with bare domains?
What is a Bare Domain?
- Bare domain - a custom domain that does not contain a subdomain
- Bare domain:
- Not Bare domain:
www.example.com-- "www" is a subdomain
- Bare domain:
- Also known as naked or subdomain domains.
- Application Objects
- Regional PoP/s
If bare domain has a CNAME record applied to it, it can not have any other record types.
CNAME is the ONLY record type that is allowed for that domain
"A" records, "NS" records, "MX" records are all invalid because the "CNAME" exists
There are 3 options to resolve this:
Option 1: CNAME flattening - the DNS service provider can recursively resolve the CNAME at the root to return the IP address associated with the A record.
- Option 2: Contact SOC / Contact Silverline Support to create a Classic proxy:
Includes only the Major scrubbing centers (without rPoPs), i.e., US-West, US-East, Asia, London, and Frankfurt.
Does not allow Regional PoPs (RPops) locations.
Redeployment will remove any existing deployments to RPoPs.
SOC provides an anycast virtual-address within 107.162/16 CIDR.
SOC deletes the default FQDN or CNAME host resource record and replaces it with an "A" resource record -- a static anycast virtual-addresses residing within 107.162/16 CIDR.
- Option 3:
- GoDaddy hosting
- If your DNS is hosted with GoDaddy, in order to add CNAME records for naked domain - you need to forward naked -> www -> FQDN (Assigned DNS Name : *.gslb.f5silverline.com). For this purpose, you can use their free service to make it work.
- In the GoDaddy domain manager, look on the left-hand side for Forwarding settings and click Manage.
- Then configure it to forward example.com to www.example.com and update your DNS to deploy the change. Keep the Advanced Options at their defaults.
- Google Domains hosting
- If your DNS is hosted with Google Domains, in order to add CNAME records for naked domain - you need to forward naked -> https://www.<domain name> - > FQDN (Assigned DNS Name : *.gslb.f5silverline.com). For this purpose you should configure the forwarding.
- In the Google Domains you select the domain that you want to make changes and hit manage button.
- Then on the left-hand side select "Website" tab and then hit the edit forwarding button.
- On the new page you put the naked domain name in the "forward from" section. And on the "forward to" section put https://www. domain.
- Finally on the DNS tab you should put www domain name with CNAME record to point to FQDN (Assigned DNS Name : *.gslb.f5silverline.com).