This article explains how to setup 2FA on Google Authenticator.
Two factor authenticating (2FA) provides a higher level of Portal security by requiring each user use an authentication client in addition to their username and password.
- 2FA client app (Google Authenticator or other) must be downloaded and enrolled into Silverline.
- 2FA client app generates one-time passcode.
- Passcode required in addition to users' username and password.
2FA Alternatives to Google Authenticator
This article uses Google Authenticator as example 2FA app.
The Procedure on the Silverline side will be the same, but here's the directions on the 2FA app side:
- Authy — Easy to use, feature-rich and supports multi-device sync: https://authy.com/guides/
- LastPass Authenticator — Similar to Google Authenticator, but works within the LastPass ecosystem: https://www.lastpass.com/two-factor-authentication/iphone
- Microsoft Authenticator — Also similar to Google Authenticator, but works especially well with Microsoft services: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-billing/how-to-use-the-microsoft-authenticator-app-9783c865-0308-42fb-a519-8cf666fe0acc
Google Authenticator or other 2FA apps
- Customer Admin for Silverline Portal
1. Navigate to the User management area for your account:
2. Create or edit user who needs 2FA
3. Select "Enable Two Factor Authentication".
- "Show/Hide Key" displays the QR code that user will see to enroll. (They will receive to their email in next step).
4. User receives an email to the specified email account that reads as follows:
Welcome to the F5 Silverline Service. The F5 Silverline Portal will give you full visibility into your service set-up, allow for service configuration, and view our knowledge-base.
To activate your account please click the link below:
Confirm my account
Don't forget to visit your profile settings to customize your account.
5. If this is the first time that a user has been set up, system prompts for a password when the user clicks "Confirm my account".
6. Once you have entered a suitable password, log out.
7. At the next login, you will be presented with the following page:
8. You will now need to enroll the client. To do this (Google Authenticator is used as an example), on the mobile app:
a. Click "+"
b. Select "Scan Barcode"
c. As soon as the barcode has been scanned, the mobile app will display a set of digits, under which will be the email address for the Silverline user.
d. These digits now need to be entered into the Portal where it says "Code".
9. Congratulations! You are now enrolled. Now, every time you log in, you will be prompted for a passcode. To find out what passcode to use, simply run the mobile app, such as Google Authenticator, and a passcode will be displayed for you to share with Silverline.